We all carry our little South Africanisms through life with us, and we are better human beings because of them. These are five things that make you truly South African.
1. You’ve pretended that it’s your birthday at the Spur
Just that one time. Just to get your free ice cream with a sparkler and your birthday song.
2. You are surprised by very little
And you know that absolutely anything can happen on the back of a bakkie.
3. You probably slip some of the following words or phrases into your conversations
Nooit, izit, howzit, lekker, shap, bokkie, yebo, klap, swak, tune, kak, big time, now now, just now, ja nee, lank, smaak, skeef, kif, jol, jislaaik.
And I’m sure you could use one of many South African expressions to caption this picture:
4. You reply with “shame” to a diverse range of situations
“Need a ride to the shops?”
“Shame man, don’t worry!”
“Look at this lion cub!”
“Ag shame, it’s so oulik!”
5. You have respect for your elders
Because you were probably ‘donnerd’ with a wooden spoon when you were a ‘laaitie’.
SA – the Good News via The South African