Maps tell a 1000 words – how SA compares!
By Steuart Pennington
There are occasions when we hear (quite often actually) that we in SA are ‘the worst in the world’ and this or that.
There are 235 countries in the world,
- does that mean we come 235th ?
- or near the bottom of the countries surveyed?
- or just in the bottom half of the countries surveyed?
I have never come across a survey of all the world’s countries, the largest is by the Economist of 195 countries, most surveys are of between 130 and 175 countries – not enough measurable, reliable info. on the remainder.
Only 80 countries have a population of more than 10 million.
Here are seven maps (below) which may be of interest:
- GDP per capita – SA a middle ranking country
- Freedom of Press – SA in top 40%, ranked 39th out of 175 countries
- Terror threat – SA ranked as ‘very safe’
- Air Pollution – SA ranked in bottom 20%
- Tourism Arrivals – SA ranked 24th most popular destination
- Infratructure – SA middle ranking with 6th largest rail network and 10th largest road network globally, airports ranked 22nd out of 140 countries.
- Corruption – SA ranked 64th ‘least corrupt out’ of 175 countries
Press Freedom – SA in top 40%, ranked 39th out of 175 countries
Terror Threat around the World – SA ranked as ‘very safe’
Air Pollution – SA ranked in bottom 20%
Tourism arrivals – SA ranked 24th most popular destination globally
Infrastructure – SA middle ranking with 6th largest rail network and 10th largest road network globally, airports ranked 22nd out of 140 countries
Corruption Index (Transparency International) – SA ranked 64th ‘least corrupt out’ of 175 countries
Whenever someone claims that SA ‘is the worst in the World’ at this or that it is mostly just plain wrong. But, having said that, our violent crime rates in the top 10 in the world, our road fatalities in the top 10, and our education system in the bottom 10 to name some.
SO, there is a lot that we are not good at, but there is also a hellava lot that we are really good at.