Mitchel Bloem (23) was born and raised in George in the Western Cape and currently works in the USA as a chef. Although he’s lived abroad for a year, he still remains proudly South African at heart.
Before heading back home, Mitchel decided to embark on a final adventure on his home soil. As an act of kindness, he planned and plotted a 429 km walk from George to Cape Town in order to raise awareness and R15 000 for the Maitland Cottage Children’s Orthopaedic Hospital.
After hearing about the non-profit organisations need for a new air conditioner for their Cerebral Palsy patients who are unable to regulate their own body temperature, Mitchel was determined to get the word out and show his support.
“ In honour of this amazing organisation and the children in their care, I have decided to run from George to Cape Town, a distance of 429km , as a beacon of hope for these children undergoing various Orthopaedic treatments. I want to inspire them to focus all their positive energy on their rehabilitation, so one day, they too can run amazing distances to better the lives of others.” – Mitchel Said.
Mitchel is avid world traveller and adventure seeker, known for his energetic spirit and charitable sensibility; he tries to make a difference wherever he goes.
“In my travels I have come across many less fortunate individuals who have overcome adversity and found the strength to beat the obstacles and limitations placed on them and I wanted an opportunity to create a meaningful difference” – Mitchel
Mitchel started his journey on the 28 August 2017 in George and hopes to arrive at Maitland Cottage Hospital in Cape Town on Thursday, 7 September 2017 as the last stop of his journey, to meet the children he is fundraising for.
His walk turned out to be more difficult than he initially anticipated, but he has powered through the elements, the pain in his knees and his blisters on his feet in aid of his cause, for this he credits his supporters.
“With the support of my family, friends, the BackaBuddy team and everyone who’s made donations to my campaign, I’ve been given the strength and encouragement to keep pushing my limits and expanding my boundaries. It’s been a great test of strength” – Mitchel
“I’m enjoying the journey, and when things get tough along the road, I remind myself of the children I’ve dedicated this to and I feel empowered. People I’ve met on along the way have also been a great support” – Mitchel
Mitchel’s brother, Matthew, also got involved in Mitchel’s campaign by organizing his accommodation along the way.
These generous business owners have so far sponsored Mitch a night’s stay.
- Day one: Mosselbay – Santis Express
- Day two: Albertinia – Albertinia Hotel
- Day three: Riversdale – Meurant self catering.
- Day Four: Hiedelberg – Hiedelberg Hotel
- Day Five: Swellendam – Swellengrebel Hotel
- Day Six: Riviersonderend – Khomeesdrif campaign site
With his campaign, Mitchel wants to leave his supporters with this message: “Enjoy life. Enjoy the moment. Know whatever you want to accomplish in life, just know that you can do it. It just starts with one step. Be brave”
His campaign has so far raised : R12 819.91
“The beauty of this campaign lies in Mitchel’s overwhelming passion to help others. He invited us all to be a part of his journey and he’s given an amazing organisation an opportunity to be heard. He has truly tapped into the true nature of crowdfunding” – Zane Groenewald – BackaBuddy
You can support Mitchel’s campaign by donating to his BackaBuddy campaign here: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/champion/project/mitchelsmissionformch
About Maitland Cottage Children’s Orthopaedic Hospital
- Maitland Cottage Children’s Orthopaedic Hospital runs the largest club foot clinic in the Country, they tend to approximately 120 patients a month.
- In their full operating theatre, they perform over 550 operations per year.
- Children are treated for a variety of conditions such as AcuteOsteomyelitis, Osteitis and Spina Bifida to name a few.
- Maitland Cottage Children’s Orthopaedic Hospital provides specialist orthopaedic surgery and treatment as well as medical and nursing care and rehabilitation to children mainly from lower socio-economic groups.
- MCH has been in existence since 1923 when the need for both social and medical intervention during the TB and polio epidemics was first identified. Over the years it developed into the only children’s orthopaedic hospital in South Africa treating over 1000 patients and performing over 500 operations per year.
- A proudly South African crowdfunding platform where individuals have the opportunity to raise funds for causes they feel passionate about.
- BackaBuddy has raised over R46 Million for various charities, individuals and causes across South Africa.
- Website: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BackabuddySA/
- Set up an individual campaign for someone in need: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/individual/register
- Register a charity on BackaBuddy https://www.backabuddy.co.za/charity/registration
- Set up a champion page to raise funds for a charity: https://www.backabuddy.co.za/champion/register
The Champion Model: We have a function on our site that allows individuals to fundraise on behalf of their favourite charities. Throughout the year, ordinary people will run the Comrades, participate in the Cape Town Cycle tour, enter the Color Run or even pledge their birthday’s to raising funds for a charity.
Contactable references/ Additional photos
Contact BackaBuddy Marketing Officer Zane Groenewald to arrange to speak with Mitchel.